With the new year, many students are preparing themselves for the exam season to hit them. Like any responsible parent, you want your child to score better grades for their final exam, particularly their Chinese exams.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR CHILD’S STUDY METHODS ARE EFFECTIVE?
You may ask yourself (or your child) the following questions to assess their study method in learning Chinese:
- Do their study methods improve their Chinese?
- Are they doing well on tests and exams?
- Are their Chinese vocabulary/fluency/pronunciation etc., improving?
Effective studying should allow your child to do well on exams while ensuring that their well-being and mental state are top-notch!
FIRSTLY, KNOW THAT THERE IS NO PERFECT APPROACH WHEN LEARNING HOW TO STUDY EFFECTIVELY.
Each student should have their own unique and specific study schedule that is tailored only to them. Therefore, the best way for you to help your child is by determining which kind of study methods best suit them. Effective study strategies can help your child avoid panic and frustration before their big test!
STUDY SMARTER, NOT HARDER!
BELOW ARE SOME RECOMMENDED STUDY TIPS FOR HOW YOU CAN HELP YOUR CHILDREN TO STUDY EFFECTIVELY.
1. Prepare vocabulary lists
Create separate lists for all the vocabulary your child has learned so far. Use a homework planner or notebook for this task.
Writing notes and organizing them will help your child’s study sessions as they can review the notes and refresh their memory.
Additionally, you can create a fun way for your child to revise the study notes! Take at least 30 minutes of each day to test your child and have them form sentences, either spoken or written, with words they are less familiar with. This will help them gain a better understanding of the word/phrase.
2. Eliminate distractions
Effective studying begins by having a great study spot – quiet and well-lit. Designate an area specifically for your child to have their study sessions with proper lighting and with no distractions!
Distractions can be anything – mobile phones, social media, TV, radio etc. Ensure your child’s phone is put on silent or keep it from them during their study time.
3. High-intensity study habits
As a parent, you would want your child to succeed in life, not just in studies.
Several of these research-proven study techniques are difficult and require a lot of effort, but think about the long-term benefits for your child!
- Pre-test: Do practice tests before learning the content. Research shows that pre-testing improves post-test results more than spending the same amount of time studying.
- Spaced practice: Focus on a topic for a short period on different days. This method can actively improve recall than massed practice. Create flash cards that can be used during spacing out study sessions!
- Self-quizzing: This is a form of active retrieval practice. Encourage your child to make test questions for themselves as they learn a new concept and incorporate these quizzes during their study sessions or study group.
- Interleaving practice: Work on a set of sample problems that are related but not altogether the same. This will stimulate your child’s brain function to use different strategies as they tackle the problems.
- Paraphrasing and reflecting: Use their own words when explaining a specific word/phrase. This way, your child can avoid panicking during an exam when they forget the textbook answer.
4. Get enough sleep
Research shows that lack of sleep reduces the ability to focus and study effectively up to 40%.
Although your child should not burn the midnight oil, studying right before bedtime can be a great idea as sleep cements information in your brain.
Therefore, sleep is essential for brain function, memory formation and learning. Make sure your child is well-rested before studying new material, then go to bed after, and their brain will help them retain information!
5. Take a break in between study schedule
Your child is not a robot that can study for hours on end. Plan an appropriate amount of time for each topic, and don’t try to cram it all in during one sitting.
Schedule a 10 minutes break for every 30 minutes they study so they can recharge. Prepare some snacks such as nuts or fruits to replenish their energy.
CONCENTRATE ON THE LEARNING PROCESS, NOT THE RESULT.
Remember! While your child’s academic performance is important, so does a healthy social life balancing their studies and having fun.
SEND YOUR CHILD TO SLC!
Worried that your child is not prepared for their Chinese exams? Then, here’s the perfect solution – SLC!
SLC offers the most comprehensive Chinese Mandarin classes, with educators of the highest quality to teach in a way suited to your child’s needs.
The best part? They provide students with thorough language learning approaches suitable for all learning styles!
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH OUR COMPREHENSIVE AND ALL-INCLUSIVE ONLINE DIAGNOSTIC ASSESSMENT TODAY SO THAT WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD REACH THEIR FULL POTENTIAL!
If your child has been showing little to no improvements even with the use of practise papers or tuition classes, perhaps it’s time to try something else.
Our Online Diagnostic Assessment helps children to discover his/her ‘problematic’ spots and learning-behavioural profile. This combined with SLC’s method and materials can help your child learn effectively to improve his/her grade and deepen his/her foundation in the language.
Simply fill in the form below to book your Online Diagnostic Assessment now. Slots are limited, be sure to book fast!
By signing up you agree to our terms & conditions. You will receive email messages from us and you can unsubscribe any time.